Wednesday, March 7, 2007

INTRO: WHY AM INTO MOBILE MEDIA NOW

INTRO: WHY AM INTO MOBILE MEDIA NOW

Back in 2001 when GSM licenses were being handed out, we the underprivileged never realized that the papers didn’t really explain in clear terms the fact the a simple handset in monochrome would change the lives and means of communication of a majority of Nigerians.

That is why five years after, I decided to investigate the mobile landscape; I must confess that there are more to what meets the eyes when it comes to the quality and richness of offerings compared to the traditional text-based media that the mobile medium offered at the initial.

First of all, I must say the facility of embrace of this mode of communication and its associated paraphernalia: SIM cards, rechargeable batteries, handsets etc, was quite astonishing.

The freedom and power of owning a personal telephone, a small gadget called a cellphone, is quite novel in the developing world.

I never had to be tech savvy, and I can say the same for millions of Nigerians, before I could understand the basics of mobile devices.

But you may ask, do I have something new to say?

Certainly. My investigation was principally against a nagging question: are GloMobile, MTN and Celtel offering Nigerians something worth the hype, something much more than text messaging, cheaper phone calls (they should go cheaper though), and affordable channels of communication? That was when I discovered mobile marketing. Being unemployed, I realized this investigation would benefit millions of young idle tempted to yahoo! graduates like myself so I decided to share my knowledge.

No comments: